Rethymno History en

Rethymno History en Rethymno History en

 

 

Rethymno cityRethymno city

The Mosque of Kara Musa Pasha is a former Venetian building.

Megali Porta Porta Guora 

Megali Porta Porta Guora Ethinikis Antistaseos Street Megali porta During the Venetian Occupation in Crete it was given the name Porta Guora in honour of the Venetian Rector Giacomo Guoro It used to be the entrance to the city from the central wall.Rethymno There was also a lion with wings  symbol of Venice, which is now in the garden of the Venetian Loggia in Rethymno

Τzane Bouniali Street or Petaladika

Some years ago people used horses and donkeys to travel  The local blacksmiths replaced horseshoes in an area called Petaladika where the travellers could spend the night and have a meal in a hani 

Τzane Bouniali Street or Petaladika Ali Vafi

The house at number 63 was the residence of Ali Vafi a Turkish merchant 

 Double doorframe Agiou Frangiskou Street Rethymno

Agiou Frangiskou StreetAgiou Frangiskou Street

Double doorframeDouble doorframe

Lions of VeniceLions of Venice

 Double doorframe Agiou Frangiskou Street Entrance with double doorframe  The exterior part was built by Venetians and the interior part by Turks who connected the two parts with a pergola. On the left and on the right side there are Lions of Venice and symbols of theOttoman Empire

St. Francis Church  Agiou Frangiskou

St. Francis Church  Agiou Frangiskou Street The church of Agios Frangiskos is a Franciscan Church Rethymno

On the doorframe of the church an artichoke shape key  and muslim symbols

Turkish School

Turkish School Turkish School

Turkish School  Vernardou &  H. Trikoupi Mikrasiaton Square 

The FirstPrimary School is the oldest school building in Rethymno

Rethymno Conservatory  

Rethymno Conservatory  Rethymno Conservatory

Rethymno Conservatory  Rethymno Conservatory

Turkish Kitaphane RethymnoTurkish Kitaphane Rethymno

Rethymno Conservatory At the beginning of Vernardou Street a Venetian church dedicated to Santa Maria was turned into a mosque by Turks in 1657. They added a Μinaret which is the tallest in Rethymno.Next to the Minaret there used to be a Turkish Kitaphane Muslim seminary school Kitap in Turkish means book with symbols of the Ottoman Empire

Historical and Folklore Museum

Historical and Folklore MuseumHistorical and Folklore Museum

Historical and Folklore Museum Vernardou Street Rethymno It is housed in a 15th century Venetian mansion

Rimondi Fountain 

Rimondi Fountain Rimondi Fountain

Rimondi Fountain Titou Petychaki Square Rimondi Fountain  was built in 1626 by the Venetian Governor of Rethymno Rimondi. There is his Monogram n the middle and 3 lion heads with water running from their mouths The Turkish added a dome and Muslim religious symbols

Loggia 

Loggia Loggia

 On the corner of Konstantinou Palaiologou and Arkadiou street Loggia Rethymno  was a social club for the Venetians Today it is used as a selling point for exact museum copies

Venetian Harbour

Venetian HarbourVenetian Harbour

Venetian Harbour In 1204 the Venetians built a small harbour for commercial purposes  Because of the low water depth no large ships could reach the harbour  so they used a small building Customs, where the passengers waited for the boats to come and take them to the ship Rethymno

Share on Social Media

Rethymno History en
(UA-88988814-1)