Megali Porta- Porta Guora- Ethinikis Antistaseos Street Rethymno
During the Venetian Occupation in Crete it was given the name Porta Guora in honour of the Venetian Rector Giacomo Guoro.It used to be the entrance to the city from the central wall. There was also a lion with wings, symbol of Venice, which is now in the garden of the Venetian Loggia in Rethymno.
Petaladika- Τzane Bouniali Street Rethymno
Some years ago people used horses and donkeys to travel. The local blacksmiths replaced horseshoes in an area called Petaladika where the travellers could spend the night and have a meal in a hani. The house at number 63 was the residence of Ali Vafi, a Turkish merchant.
Byzantine Iconostasis Rethymno
- Νikiforou Foka Street and Papamichelaki Street in the corner we see a stone Iconostasis dating from the Byzantine period
Turkish Fountain Rethymno
Venetian doorframe Rethymno
- In the middle of Νikiforou Foka Street
On one side of the street we see a (4Α-Turkish Fountain) and on the other side we see a Venetian doorframe Casa dei Delfini, on numbers 66 and 68.
Episcopal Residence Rethymno
Αrambatzoglou Street The Venetian Bishop’s Residence in Rethymno. During the Ottoman Occupation, a Pasha turned this house into a Turkish bath (hammam). The Hammam ceiling is usually domed with holes. Legend has it that the number of holes on the dome shows the number of Pasha’s wives. There are nine holes on the domed ceiling of this hammam.
Historical and Folklore Museum
Vernardou Street)It is housed in a 15th century Venetian mansion.
At the beginning of Vernardou Street a Venetian church dedicated to Santa Maria was turned into a mosque by Turks in 1657. They added a Μinaret which is the tallest in Rethymno.Next to the Minaret
there used to be a Turkish Kitaphane Muslim seminary school Kitap in Turkishmeans book
with symbols of the Ottoman Empire.
Turkish School - Vernardou & H. Trikoupi-Mikrasiaton Square Rethymno
The FirstPrimary School is the oldest school building in Rethymno.
Double doorframe Rethymno
Agiou Frangiskou Street Entrance with double doorframe The exterior part was built by Venetians and the interior part by Turks who connected the two parts with a pergola. On the left and on the right side there are Lions of Venice and symbols of theOttoman Empire.
St. Francis Church Rethymno
Agiou Frangiskou Street The church of Agios Frangiskos is a Franciscan Church. On the doorframe of the church, an artichoke shape key and muslim symbols
Rimondi Fountain -Rethymno
Titou Petychaki Square Rimondi Fountain was built in 1626 by the Venetian Governor of Rethymno Rimondi. There is his Monogram in the middle and 3 lion heads with water running from their mouths The Turkish added a dome and Muslim religious symbols
– On the corner of Konstantinou Palaiologou) and Arkadiou street, Loggia was a social club for the Venetians. Today it is used as a selling point for exact museum copies.
Saint Barbara Church Rethymno
Agias Varvaras Street The only church which hasn’t got a bell tower. It was given to the Christians by the Russians with the same chandelier we see today.
The Church of Mikri Panagia Rethymno
little church of Virgin Mary Nikiforou Foka Street & Arambatzoglou Street at Μ. Papaioanou Square. The church was built during the last years of the Venetian Occupation and is dedicated to Mary Magdalene.There is a unique Byzantine icon of Saint Gobdelaas, the only icon of Persian saint we find in a church in Crete.
Megali Panagia Rethymno
big church of Virgin Mary Between Manioudaki and Mousourou Street
The cathedral is a three-aisled basilica without dome built in 1956. The temple has been the same since 1944. The bell tower which was built in 1899 has seven bells. The biggest bell has the name of Russian Theodor de Chiostak and the other six have the names of the six Russian regiments of soldiers.
Venetian Harbour Rethymno
In 1204 the Venetians built a small harbour for commercial purposes. Because of the low water depth, no large ships could reach the harbour, so they used a small building -Customs, where the passengers waited for the boats to come and take them to the ship.
Archaeological sites in Rethymno
Emm. Kefalogianni Avenue The Venetian fortress was built between 1573 and 1580 by the Venetians in order to protect the citizens from Turks.
Archaeological Museum of Rethymno Emm. Kefalogiani Avenue next to Fortezza.
Monasteries in Rethymno
It was probably built in the 12th century. This Sacred Monastery is a symbol of freedom for Cretans.
Preveli Monastery Rethymno
During the German Occupation, the monks put their lives in danger to keep the allies who fought in the Battle of Crete safe.
Preveli is also known for the Holy Cross which is associated with many miracles. It was donated by Abbot Ephraim Prevelis. It contains particles of the Holy Wood.